One of the first houses in the area was built by Dr. William Van Bergen Ames, who co-founded Northwestern University's now-closed Dental School. The house was built on a piece of land measuring over 2,000 acres (810 ha), which was purchased for $4 an acre.
At the time, the Chandler Arizonan newspaper called the house, built in the foothills of the South Mountain, "unmatched in scope and size". The house was noted to be a 12,000 square feet (1,100 m2) winter residence, designed by prominent Phoenix architect Lester Mahoney, with construction starting in 1921.
The house was given the name "The Mystic House" by the Chandler Arizonan, due to its cost, size, and isolated location. The Ames, however, called it Casa de Sueños. They moved into the house on Thanksgiving of 1921, but Dr. Ames died suddenly in February of 1922. Ames' wife continued to spend her winters at the house until her death in 1933.
Following Ames' wife's death, the Ames' property in Ahwatukee was willed to St. Luke's Hospital. The property was bought by Brinton in 1935, who gave the house (and eventually the area) the name it is known by today (as explained above). The house was demolished in 1979. Brinton died in 1960.
Source From Wikipedia